Sunday, May 7, 2017

Healthcare vs. Health Insurance

The Affordable Healthcare Act is a flawed law. I've essentially had health insurance my whole life, but AHA didn't make my healthcare more affordable. My insurance has been through my wife's employer most of the past 15 years. I qualified for insurance through Target in 2003 and accepted it since my dr wasn't in the network of my wife's insurance. My wife was 8 months pregnant and I was able to sign her up. Pre-existing illnesses don't get you denied insurance when you are in a big company. We kept my wife's insurance and had double insurance until I dropped it a year later. My dr was  then in my wife's network and the money was needed to pay for a car. Didn't need 2 insurances, but it was nice not having co-pays and the primary insurance had a cap on coverage for my son so it wasn't going to pay for well-baby shots after $500 was billed. Target family insurance was $70 a pay check, while my wife's was... I think $125 a month.
When I worked for the hospital, family insurance was $125 a pay check, thus double my wife's insurance, while the network was only doctors associated with the hospital, I think.  I didn't opt for it.
I forget when it happened, but my wife's employer started taking out $125 twice a month between 2007 and 2010. Our premiums went down after ACA passed, but we no longer had co-pays. Her employer had a high deductible policy, so we paid for everything until we hit the $2,500/$5,000 deductibles.
Sad to think I miss the days of co-pays... for I think we've paid at least $4,500 out of pocket annually since 2012, not including the premiums.
I'd have to look at my wife's W-2, for it's listed on her payroll deductions towards HSA.
I now have insurance through my employer for $6 a month. Saving $100 a month by being off my wife's insurance, but it goes up drastically for children, spouses and family. Might be a savings if I dropped kids from her plan, but we've spent a bit towards deductibles, so it would be dumb to switch now. Nothing I need would go towards a deductible  to make it worth staying when I'd be kicked off in December. Her employer doesn't allow for spouses to be covered if they are eligible for insurance elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment